"Mountain freedom" - barrier-free holidays in Kaunertal in Tirol
The Kaunertal offers various options for an accessible holiday with no ifs, ands, or buts.
What do the Dreiländerblick observation deck at 3,108 meters, the natural jewel Piller Moor, and the Falkaunsalm terrace have in common? Correct! All three are accessible.
And not just that: lots of accommodation, public facilities, shops, and many restaurants are also ready to welcome differently abled guests. The Kaunertal offers an unforgettable holiday without barriers in Tyrol!
Businesses and shops with barrier-free access
Tourist Information Office, cash point, indoor pool, sanctuary, sports shop. A range of places and shops in the nature park and glacier region are barrier-free. In these places, all visitors can truly enjoy the Tyrolean holiday valley to the fullest:
- the Kaunertal Tourist Information Office in Feichten
- Raiffeisen Bank/cash point in Feichten
- the Plankensteiner corner shop in Feichten
- Quellalpin Kaunertal in Feichten
Indoor pool, sunbathing lawn, restaurant, terrace
- Kaunertal glacier cable cars
Restaurant Weißsee, Lifts & Slopes
- Accessible cross-country skiing
- Kaltenbrunn pilgrimage church & Gasthaus Kaltenbrunn
- the Kaunergrat Nature Park Museum
- Sport Schranz corner shop in Fendels
Good to know: all accessible establishments are marked with one, two, or three wheelchairs to indicate their level of accessibility, from accessible with some restrictions to fully accessible.
Barrier-free cafés and restaurants in the Kaunertal
A coffee break in the afternoon or a fine visit to the restaurant are just part of a great holiday for you? Choose from the many barrier-free spots in the Kaunertal:
- Hotel Kirchenwirt, Feichten,www.kirchenwirt.com
- Quellalpin Restaurant, Feichten
- Pizzeria Rustica, Unterhäuser,www.rustica.at (steps to WC)
- Café Angelika, Vergötschen,www.tiscover.com/apart-angelika (steps to WC)
- Gasthaus Kaltenbrunn,www.gasthaus-kaltenbrunn.at
- Café Seepanorama at the Kaunertal Reservoir,
- Restaurant Weissee at the Kaunertal Glacier
- Zum Wiesejaggl tavern, Kaunerberg, www.kaunerberg.at (steps to WC)
- Restaurant Gachenblick at the Nature Park Museum, www.gachenblick.at
- Erlebnishotel, Fendels, www.ferienhotels-tirol.at
Projects for a barrier-free holiday in Tyrol
A holiday with accessibility without any ifs, ands, or buts: that is one of the stated goals of the Kaunertal. In order to achieve this in the long term, projects are planned and implemented on an ongoing basis. The Tyrolean holiday region is on the right path, taking one step after another towards accessibility.
Around the Kaunergrat Nature Park Museum, people with reduced mobility can, for example,
- enjoy the views from the Gacher Blick observation deck across the Kaunertal mountains.
- There are also many adapted hiking trails
- and wheelchair users can use the surrounding free space without any problem. Wheelchair-accessible parking, included,
Adlerblick viewing platform
High above the walls of a cliff rising a hundred metres over your head, a spectacular observation deck provides views of the surrounding mountain peaks. This is a place where you can feel the power of nature very intensively. The Adlerblick viewing platform provides magnificent views and is also easily accessible for persons with reduced mobility!
Equipment for tourists with limited mobility
Do you know what a Swiss Trac is? This is a special tractor for wheelchair users. It allows them to head up steep mountain paths and visit mountain pastures high up. Sounds fantastic? It is! The following equipment and means of transport make for an eventful, yet accessible holiday in the Kaunertal:
- Swiss Tracs,
- hand bikes,
- cross-country skids,
- low-floor buses for groups (wheelchair users and disabled)
For accessible access to the Kaunertal
People with reduced mobility can easily reach the nature park and glacier region of Kaunerrtal by rail and public transport. The nearest accessible rail station is Landeck-Zams. From there, the Postbus will take you the 30 km to the Kaunertal.
Other businesses in the holiday region Kaunertal
Nauders crowns the cycling king.
14.06.2020 - Kaunertaler Gletscherkaiser
25.06. - 27.06.2020 - Race Across the Alps
26.06.2020 - Nightrace
28.06.2020 - Dreiländergiro
from 1st - 30th June 2021
In order to give our visitors a better understanding of the meaning, sustainability and beauty of the Alpine meadows, June has become “month of the meadows” in the Tyrolean Oberland. Visitors can take part in guided hikes on the theme of meadows, or guided visits to businesses and on pastures and visit agricultural workers on their farms. The Alpine meadows are something quite special, especially in early summer when the many herbs and bright flowers are blossoming. At the end of the “month of the meadows”, the “meadow festival” takes place , where there will be information on insects and identifying plants as well as music and numerous stands with regional producers.